Merseyrail passengers will be able to enjoy more festive cheer this Christmas as trains will be running on Boxing Day and late nights in December. With return tickets from just £2.10, Merseyrail is the perfect way to get around this Christmas.
→ The rail operator will be running a special service between 09:00 and 19:00 on Boxing Day, calling at selected stations across the network.
Late night trains:
→ There will also be late night trains on the two weekends before Christmas, helping passengers get home from festive events across the city.
→ Two trains per evening will run as follows:
- Friday 13 December trains will depart at 01:30 (early hours of Saturday 14 December)
- Saturday 14 December trains will depart at 01:30 (early hours of Sunday 15 December)
- Friday 20 December trains will depart at 01:30 (early hours of Saturday 21 December)
- Saturday 21 December trains will depart at 01:30 (early hours of Sunday 22 December)
→ These trains will call at the following stations:
- Northern line: Waterloo, Formby and Southport
- Wirral line: Birkenhead Central, Bebington, Bromborough, Hooton
Early finish times and closures:
The Merseyrail network will be closed on Christmas Day, with services finishing early on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
For full timetable information, Christmas shopping and event guides passengers can visit www.merseyrail.org/christmas. Our customer service team can also be contacted via Twitter @merseyrail or WhatsApp on 0151 555 1111 for service updates and information.
Suzanne Grant, Commercial Director at Merseyrail, said:
“We are thrilled to be offering these services to our passengers this Christmas.
“We have listened to feedback from our passengers and responded accordingly with services that will help people get home from festive celebrations, late night shopping and more.
“Only a very limited number of trains operate nationally on Boxing Day, so it’s great news for the Liverpool City Region that we are able to operate this service.”
There will also be a whole host of activity across the Merseyrail network this Christmas. Some of the highlights include:
Father Christmas on the network:
→ On 2 December at 10am Father Christmas will be making a special delivery to Liverpool Central’s MtoGo store. Further information will be available closer to the time.
Carol choirs will be performing throughout December on the Merseyrail network at the following stations:
- Liverpool Central – 3, 5, 8, 19 & 20 December
- Hamilton Square – 5 & 19 December
- Southport – 22 December